Thursday, January 22, 2015

SAG Foundation: My Conversation With Ellar Coltrane and Richard Linklater

I have had a very fun year interviewing the folks from Boyhood. First, I talked to Richard Linklater for a Backstage cover story. Then, I conducted a Q&A with Linklater, Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette and Ellar Coltrane. (Sorry, no video for that.) Then, for the SAG Foundation, I spoke with just Arquette and Hawke. Then, in December, I conducted a Q&A with the film's casting director (Beth Sepko), co-production designer (Rodney Becker) and editor (Sandra Adair). (Sorry, no video for that.) And then on Wednesday, right before I left for Sundance, I chatted with Coltrane and Linklater for the SAG Foundation. I never get tired of hanging out with these people.

In this conversation, I wanted to talk about what the experience has been like for them since Boyhood premiered a little over a year ago at Sundance. Coltrane is especially interesting when he talks about how he's tried to cope with the rush of attention he's received. But both men are warm and engaging, as always. (And Linklater's right in his response to my observation that his movies celebrate families.)