Sunday, October 12, 2014

SAG Foundation: My Conversation With Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke

Yesterday, I conducted a Q&A with two of Boyhood's stars, Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke, for the SAG Foundation. This is actually the second time I've chatted with them in connection to this film. (Back in August, I moderated a panel with those two, as well as Richard Linklater and Ellar Coltrane.) So I already knew what to expect from them, which is that they're total pros who don't need much guidance. Just ask them a solid question, and they'll take it from there. This Q&A was a delight, and the crowd loved them. You can watch our talk below, where we discussed the challenges of making a film over 12 years, Linklater's creative process, and why neither actor really wanted to ever share Boyhood with audiences. (Also, Hawke pokes a little fun at Daniel Day-Lewis.)



Oh, and a personal highlight before our conversation: Hawke telling me he liked my outfit.