Wednesday, January 21, 2015

'Strange Magic' Review


First, an anecdote. I pride myself on being early to screenings. I hate being late for anything, but especially when it comes to my job, I don't like to make others wait for me. (Even worse, I don't want to miss the start of the movie if the publicists decide to start without me.) Last night, though, I was stuck in absolutely horrible traffic -- which was even more annoying because I had planned for that by leaving my home earlier than normal. I got to the screening of Strange Magic about 10 minutes late, but the very nice folks at Disney held it for me, which I so appreciate. (And maybe they didn't hold it just for me -- I don't have that kind of power, believe me -- but it was a nice reminder that, sometimes, stuff happens, and we need other folks to help us out.)

I say all that as a preface to my review of Strange Magic. The movie is terrible, and a reminder that any film billed as "from the mind of George Lucas" should be treated with suspicion. I didn't want to dislike Strange Magic as much as I did considering everything that led up to me seeing it but, hey, part of the job is to call like I see it.

My review is up at Screen International.