Thursday, April 11, 2013

'To the Wonder' Review


First, a bit of housekeeping: You may have heard that Backstage will no longer be running reviews. It's sad for me, obviously, but it's much sadder for people on the theater side, especially Erik Haagensen, a great critic and editor.

It's been a pleasure and a thrill to write for the publication. As I mentioned about a year ago when I was first invited to do a column for them, Backstage has always had a special place in my heart thanks to an old actress girlfriend of mine who picked up the magazine on a weekly basis back in the day. Daniel Holloway, Backstage's executive editor, brought me in and has been incredibly supportive and encouraging. I thank him for that, and I hope our paths cross again soon. He's a great guy and a smart guy, and that's a rare combination.

My final review for Backstage is of To the Wonder. It's a movie very much concerned with life's impermanence, which seems appropriate. It's a lovely, lovely film that I hope you seek out.