Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Back Stage Column: 'Hunger Games,' 'The Raid,' 'The Deep Blue Sea'


A lifetime ago, an actress girlfriend of mine would go to the newsstand every week to pick up the latest copy of Back Stage, which was known as Back Stage West here in Los Angeles. The reason was because of the casting and audition notices in the back of the publication; these were vitally important for her as well as her acting friends.

Ever since, Back Stage has always had a special place in my heart, so you can imagine my delight when the fine folks over there asked me to do a weekly column in which I give a quick critical rundown of all the weekend's movie offerings. Here's my first entry: It covers the big films (The Hunger Games), but it also hits the smaller indie fare, like 4:44 Last Day on Earth, Brake and The Trouble With Bliss. I hope you enjoy.