Friday, January 25, 2013

Sundance 2013: Ranking the Best and Worst of the Festival


In the span of about a week, I saw 25 films at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but because I wasn't in Park City for the festival's entire run, there are still several titles I wish I could have seen: Escape From Tomorrow, The Spectacular Now, Fruitvale, Blue Caprice, Valentine Road, After Tiller, Toy's House, even jOBS. Those will have to wait, sadly, but I wanted to offer that caveat to the below ranking to suggest that it's far from a definitive overview of everything that was available at the festival. Nonetheless, this was my 2013 Sundance. Links lead to my reviews... (Update: I had forgotten to include the one film I saw before the festival, The Gatekeepers. It's added now.)

26. Very Good Girls
25. A.C.O.D.
24. May in the Summer
23. Prince Avalanche
22. Don Jon's Addiction
21. The East
20. Sightseers
19. Computer Chess
18. Magic Magic
17. Big Sur
16. Lovelace
15. S-VHS
14. In a World...
13. Touchy Feely
12. Breathe In
11. God Loves Uganda
10. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
9. Mother of George
8. Crystal Fairy
7. Fill the Void
6. Two Mothers
5. The Gatekeepers
4. Mud
3. C.O.G.
2. Upstream Color
1. Before Midnight