Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sundance 2012: 'Gypsy Davy' review


I haven't had a chance to see any documentaries yet at this year's Sundance -- I've been focusing on features for the first half of the festival -- but yesterday I saw Gypsy Davy, a rather touching film from director Rachel Leah Jones. Her film is about Flamenco guitarist David Serva, a renowned musician (and inspiration for the Counting Crows' "Mr. Jones") who has had five children, each with a different woman. Jones is one of those children, and her film explores those women and children, creating a portrait of the artist that gets away from the typical talking-heads/career-highlights bio treatment. This is a very quiet, intimate, personal movie, but I was moved by it. I sang the film's praises over at Screen International. And here's a little taste of Serva's musicianship....