Monday, January 29, 2024

Sundance 2024: Ranking the Best and Worst of the Festival


My first Sundance was 2009. It was my first film festival. Those realizations hit me in the middle of this Sundance, so many years later. Back then I didn't know the basic rules: how you should just have your snow boots on when you board the plane to Salt Lake City, how you should make sure to drink enough water to avoid headaches. I don't think you ever truly master a film festival, but over time at least you're more prepared for what might come your way. 

Last year's edition was deemed an instant classic simply because of Past Lives -- not to mention movies like Passages and All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt -- that it was inevitable that this year's installment must suffer by comparison. But I have to say: I saw several gems, including at least one that's going to merit serious consideration for my end-of-the-year list. And, even better, it wasn't one I was expecting greatness from when this Sundance started. But Jesse Eisenberg's beautiful, hilarious A Real Pain floored me. That's the part of a festival you never can plan for -- the movie that comes out of nowhere and knocks your socks off. (And, also, a special shout-out to In the Summers, pictured above, which won the U.S. Dramatic prize, as well as the directing award.)

Below are my rankings, with links leading to individual reviews.

27. Your Monster
26. Rob Peace
25. Love Lies Bleeding
24. Love Me
23. The Outrun
22. Will & Harper
21. A New Kind of Wilderness
20. Exhibiting Forgiveness
19. Gaucho Gaucho
18. Thelma
17. Power
16. DEVO
15. Union
14. War Game
13. My Old Ass
12. Black Box Diaries
11. Presence
10. I Saw the TV Glow
9. Hit Man
8. Girls State
7. Girls Will Be Girls
6. How to Have Sex
5. Good One
4. Sasquatch Sunset
3. A Different Man
2. In the Summers
1. A Real Pain