Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Cannes 2013: The Wrap-Up and the Rankings


The 2013 edition of the Cannes Film Festival has come to an end. I saw a lot of movies and wrote about every single one of them. It was a whirlwind experience, one I'm still coming down from. At any rate, here's a quick one-stop-shopping guide for all my Cannes coverage.

First off, I produced an almost-daily diary from the festival for Backstage. Here are those entries...

Part 1: The Calm Before the Storm
Part 2: The Unlikely Connection Between The Great Gatsby and Heli
Part 3: The Congress and the Future of Acting
Part 4: Avoiding the Raindrops (or, Why I Never Whine at a Festival) 
Part 5: The Race for the Palme d'Or
Part 6: Early in the Morning
Part 7: Robert Redford's Comeback
Part 8: Jerry Lewis' Very Bad Day
Part 9: A Deserving Winner

And now, a ranking of what I saw at the festival. A few of these were seen before Cannes at Sundance or elsewhere. Links lead to individual reviews....

32. Max Rose
31. A Castle in Italy
30. The Great Gatsby
29. Taipei Factory
28. Shield of Straw
27. The Congress
26. The Bling Ring
25. Bends
24. The Immigrant
23. Heli
22. Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian)
21. Grigris
20. Magic Magic
19. We Are What We Are
18. Young & Beautiful 
17. Only God Forgives
16. Bombay Talkies
15. Tore Tanzt
14. Only Lovers Left Alive
13. Behind the Candelabra
12. Sarah Prefers to Run
11. Ilo Ilo
10. Nebraska
9. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
8. A Touch of Sin
7. Venus in Fur
6. Like Father, Like Son
5. All Is Lost
4. The Past
3. Bastards
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
1. Blue Is the Warmest Color

As you can see, I'm pretty much in agreement with the Competition jury about what the strongest films were. As for the reason why I included that photo of jury member Nicole Kidman and jury president Steven Spielberg, well, it makes me chuckle every time I look at it. The man seems genuinely confused (or is it irritated?) by her very presence.