Friday, October 11, 2019

Pink Floyd - "The Great Gig in the Sky"

For people who know me, probably one of the more surprising things is that I really love The Dark Side of the Moon. Admittedly, it doesn't make much sense. I'm not a stoner. Not into psychedelics. Concept albums aren't necessarily my cup of tea. And, truth is, I don't really love Pink Floyd all that much. And yet, I've been moved and captivated by that 42-minute album for nearly 30 years now. It's just the right combination of sad, thoughtful, angry and panicked -- it reasonably articulates the sensation of how life can drive you crazy. It's an album I periodically check back with to see what it has to tell me.

Recently, I listed The Dark Side of the Moon among my choices for the 10 greatest albums ever made. It's a record you need to listen to from beginning to end. It doesn't quite work otherwise. But today, I'm feeling "The Great Gig in the Sky," which is the album's nice little interlude smack dab in the middle. Plus, it's sure pretty.