Friday, March 29, 2019

True/False 2019: The Rankings and the Rundown


My seventh True/False was, by critical consensus, not one of the festival's strongest. But there were still some gems. Here's a quick ranking of everything I saw...

15. Mr. Soul!
14. Home, Sweet Home
13. Mike Wallace Is Here 
12. Untitled Amazing Johnathan Documentary
11. One Child Nation
10. Caballerango
9. Let It Burn
8. Apollo 11 
7. Cold Case Hammarskjöld
6. No Data Plan
5. Midnight Traveler
4. American Factory
3. Amazing Grace
2. Finding Frances
1. The Hottest August

I decided to include Finding Frances, the final episode of Nathan for You's fourth season, for reasons I get into in my annual True/False recap over at Paste. And I hope a smart distributor picks up The Hottest August, which is the strong new film from The Prison in Twelve Landscapes director Brett Story.