Saturday, January 27, 2018

Sundance 2018: Ranking the Best and Worst of the Festival


It was a strange Sundance, in that I basically liked just about everything I saw and that I didn't see as many films as I normally do. (The latter is a byproduct of not screening very many things before the festival.)

With that in mind, the below rankings are filled with recommended movies, even if there were fewer outright raves. I wish I'd had time to see Eighth Grade, Madeline's Madeline, Mandy, Monsters and Men, etc. And I intentionally avoided any documentaries to give me more options for True/False in March.

So, without further ado, here are my rankings, with links leading to individual reviews...

23. Ophelia
22. Juliet, Naked
21. Come Sunday
20. Blindspotting
19. Sorry to Bother You
18. The Miseducation of Cameron Post 
17. We the Animals
16. Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot 
15. Colette
14. The Kindergarten Teacher
13. The Death of Stalin
12. Search 
11. The Rider
10. Wildlife
9. Damsel
8. I Think We're Alone Now
7. You Were Never Really Here
6. Tyrel
5. Leave No Trace 
4. Foxtrot
3. Hereditary
2. Private Life
1. The Tale

I am saddened The Tale will not be getting a theatrical release since it was acquired by HBO. As a huge fan of the Coup, I bummed I didn't like Sorry to Bother You more. And I really love my top three films, even more so because they're so tonally different.