Friday, January 05, 2018

Jay-Z - "The Story of O.J."

Because I listen to a decent amount of hip-hop -- and because I'm someone who likes to sing along to what I'm listening to -- it is not uncommon for me to come upon songs that use the N-word. My wife asked me recently if I'll sing that word. I would never in public, put it that way. I consider that word so loaded that it's not right for me to ever use it. Basically, I adhere to the Ta-Nehisi Coates principle.

Jay-Z's "The Story of O.J." is an interesting test case. The word is used frequently in the song, especially the chorus, and Jay is using it to illustrate the fact that, no matter how rich and successful he becomes, some people will only see him through the prism of race. The video amplifies the theme, incorporating animation that knowingly borrows from offensive past racist depictions of African-Americans. The country's shameful past is tied deeply to the song and the video. That "The Story of O.J." is so catchy makes the whole thing more complicated, as if Jay is tempting his white fans to sing along. I resist every time. The song stings.