Thursday, August 28, 2014

Toronto 2014: 'Rosewater' Review


Rosewater won't screen at the Toronto Film Festival until Sept. 9, but it will most assuredly play at Telluride before then. (That festival hasn't announced its lineup or schedule yet.) But why wait? I reviewed the film for Screen International, and I went long because there is much to chew on in Jon Stewart's directorial debut.

As anyone who spends any time around me will know, I've long considered The Colbert Report to be vastly superior to The Daily Show -- to the point where I think Stewart's program might be more than a little overrated at this point. (That said, his show Tuesday on Ferguson was impeccable.) But the man's feature film is a fine, modest, sensitive piece of work, highlighted by strong performances from Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal and Kim Bodnia. Here's my review.