Friday, June 15, 2012

Sinead O'Connor- "You Cause as Much Sorrow"

If I made a list of the 10 greatest albums of all time, there is a distinct possibility that Sinead O'Connor's I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got would make the cut. While other albums from my childhood have faded in their significance over time, I Do Not Want is growing stronger. (This is even more noteworthy since she was all of 23 when she made it.) The album came out in March 1990, and if the info on this YouTube video is correct, this live rendition of "You Cause as Much Sorrow" was played just a few months after the record's release. Considering her problems of late, these lyrics pierce the heart even more...

I never said I was tough 
That was everyone else 
So you're a fool to attack me 
For the image that you built yourself 
It just sounds more vicious 
Than I actually mean 
I really am soft and tender and sweet