Wednesday, May 16, 2012

On the Loathsome 'What to Expect When You're Expecting'


I try not to take movies personally, but I found it difficult when approaching the horrendous What to Expect When You're Expecting. As someone who's happily married to a woman who (like me) doesn't want to have kids, I feel a certain amount of societal pressure to reproduce. (I realize, by the way, that this pressure is far more intense for the woman than it is for the man.) So, for Deadspin, I decided to lay into What to Expect, which is like a walking advertisement for the You Must Procreate agenda. Ranting felt good. You can read my piece here.

Update: My piece was republished on Gawker, and I recommend checking out the comments section, which features a lot of thoughtful observations on the pros and cons of having children.