Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review: 'Wanderlust'


In my heart of hearts, I was hoping that Wanderlust could be a modern-day Lost in America. You know, self-satisfied, well-to-do couple exit the rat race to "find" themselves, with hilarity ensuing. Alas, no, Wanderlust isn't so good. I don't have anything against Paul Rudd or Jennifer Aniston, but I don't necessarily love them as comic actors, either. (That will probably surprise you in regards to Rudd. Lot of people adore him. He's fine, but, metabolically, he's never quite been my rhythm.) Funny enough, I actually think Justin Theroux is the best part of the film as the commune leader who seems to have absorbed the spirit of a thousand hippy-dippy tree-huggers, acquiring their powers of massive pretentiousness. My review of Wanderlust is up at Screen International, where you will need a subscription to see it. (Sorry about that.)