Friday, February 17, 2012

'Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance' review


I continue to take no delight in the slow-motion implosion of Nicolas Cage's career. Even while watching something dreadful like Trespass, I find myself quietly pulling for him, ever hopeful that maybe, someday, somehow he'll be able to pull out of this nosedive. But I don't see it happening any time soon, although I thought his Saturday Night Live cameo last weekend was at least a step in the right direction.

His latest is Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance. (Trust me: I want to put a colon in there, but you have to follow the punctuation in the press notes, people.) In this sequel, it's Cage being Cage, which seemed to delight a small portion of my midnight audience to no end. (They just loved every bug-eyed silliness Cage provided.) Me, I'd have been happier with the film if it was more -- what's the word? -- fun. My review of Spirit of Vengeance is up at Screen International.