Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"say you miss me"

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but sometimes when I wake up I have a random song inexplicably stuck in my head. So, I've decided to start an infrequent column about this phenomenon called The Song in My Head, in which I'll write about that song. Maybe it'll be a critique. Maybe it'll be an association I have with the song. We'll see how it goes.

Wilco's "Say You Miss Me" is off their Being There album, which came out during the time period when I was rooting against them and pulling for Son Volt. In retrospect, the reasons are pretty stupid, so it's not worth dwelling on them.

I have a memory of hearing this song at some point in my 20s late at night when I was single and very lonely and very unhappy. The song has a drunken-phone-call quality to it, which is why I'm sure I responded to it at the time.

Checking my iTunes, I see that it popped up on Monday, so that's partly to explain why it was stuck in my head this morning. But it was also in a dream I had last night in which my wife and I were living in the same house as friends of ours. In the dream, I remember thinking, "This is a pretty good Wilco song."

Of course, I also think it's in my head because I haven't seen my wife in about a week and miss her terribly. I mean, just look at these lyrics:
I've been sleepin' alone, out on my own...

Do you miss me too?
Baby say I'll miss you
Just say you'll miss me too
Do you miss me too?
Baby say I'll miss you
Just say you'll miss me too
Granted, "Say You Miss Me" is a post-breakup/please-take-me-back song, but the sentiment hits home regardless.