Sunday, January 31, 2010

ranking the best and worst of the sundance film festival

From the opening-night film through today's award-winner screenings, I was here at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival. (Or, as they called it, SundanceTwentyTen.) From worst to best, here are the films I saw (including ones I screened prior to the festival) with links to my reviews where applicable:

Sympathy for Delicious

happythankyoumoreplease
Twelve
Frozen
Jack Goes Boating
Holy Rollers
The Company Men
Waste Land
The Romantics
Contracorriente (Undertow)

The Taqwacores

Howl
Buried
Winter's Bone

Obselidia

Hesher
The Freebie

The Extra Man
Cyrus
Waiting for Superman
The Kids Are All Right
Mother and Child
Exit Through the Gift Shop

Restrepo

GasLand

Please Give
Animal Kingdom
The Tillman Story

Catfish

A Prophet

I Am Love

Blue Valentine
Southern District (Zona Sur)
12th & Delaware

Lourdes


As you can probably gather, I'm not as high on Winter's Bone as my colleagues (and the jury) were. That movie may deserve a second look. But later ... right now I need some sleep.