Saturday, February 08, 2020

If I Had an Oscar Ballot for Best Picture


In case you forgot, the Academy uses a preferential ballot to vote for Best Picture. (My buddy Glenn Whipp explained the process perfectly a few years ago.) So if I had a vote, here's how it would look:

1. Parasite
2. Little Women
3. The Irishman
4. Marriage Story
5. Joker
6. Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood
7. 1917
8. Ford v Ferrari
9. Jojo Rabbit

It is very possible that Parasite is going to pull off the upset. Think how remarkable that would be. First non-English-language film to win. First film from Neon to win. Only the second Palme d'Or winner to do it. (The first was Marty about 65 years ago.) But I still think it's going to be 1917's night. And in case you're curious, here's my list of 2019's actual best pictures.

Enjoy the Oscars, everybody.