Friday, June 28, 2019

The Wonders - "That Thing You Do!"

"I was definitely a Beatles freak as a kid, and for a long time I only listened to the Beatles, especially when I was very young. As I got older, my tastes expanded, but the Beatles were certainly the starting point in terms of my entry into pop music, as they were for many people. Whenever I’m given [a writing] assignment like this, the first thing I do is ask a lot of questions, just to make sure that I understand the assignment correctly. Sometimes you’re given really good information, and other times it’s really shoddy. In this case, the information was incredibly good and specific, and I think that really helped me out a lot. They said it should sound like an American band that was blown away by the Beatles right after they arrived and was trying to imitate them." -- Fountains of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger recalling, in 2016, how he wrote the Oscar-nominated theme song to Tom Hanks' That Thing You Do!