Friday, June 15, 2018

Max Richter - "Dream 3 (In the Midst of My Life)"

On July 27 and 28, Los Angeles will play host to Sleep, an overnight event from composer Max Richter, where he performs his eight-and-a-half-hour album in its entirety while attendees lie on cots underneath the stars. It sounds like an incredible experience.

Ever since these shows were announced, I've been listening to Sleep as part of my regular Spotify playlist of new and notable music. It's broken up into 31 tracks, so as all my different songs are on shuffle, I'll occasionally land on one of Richter's calming, contemplative compositions. They instantly put me in a better mood -- I always feel more relaxed. And when the news is as soul-crushingly terrible as it's been lately, I need whatever relaxation I can find.