Monday, April 02, 2018

True/False 2018: The Rankings and the Rundown


A little later than normal, but Paste published my annual rundown of True/False, which remains one of my favorite events on the movie calendar. You can read all 6,200 words right here. In addition, here's my ranking of everything I saw at the festival...

18. Our New President
17. Playing Men
16. Caniba
15. American Animals 
14. Three Identical Strangers
13. The Rider
12. Kinshasa Makambo  
11. Voices of the Sea
10. MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A.
9. The Family
8. Of Fathers and Sons
7. Hale County This Morning, This Evening  
6. Shirkers
5. Black Mother 
4. Bisbee '17
3. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
2. The Task
1. Makala

An embarrassment of riches topped by three utterly different documentaries. Can't wait for the 2019 edition. And can't wait to see Makala again, which Kino Lorber will be releasing at some point this year.