Thursday, July 13, 2017

My Interview With Adam Grandmaison, the Man Behind No Jumper


As I've said before on this blog, one of the pleasures of my job is being assigned to interview someone with whom I'm not that familiar. It allows opportunities to really discover who a person is with no preconceived notions.

That's how Adam Grandmaison came into my life. Rolling Stone asked me to meet him and learn what makes him tick. Grandmaison is better known as Adam22, and he's a mini-entrepreneur. Starting out as a BMX blogger, he's become an influential man in the world of underground hip-hop, hosting the popular interview podcast No Jumper. He is a character, as a cursory scroll through his YouTube videos will attest, but he also loves rap music and can speak about it with incredible passion and precision.

I spent two days with Adam22, and the more time I was with him, the more I liked him. He's smart, funny and opinionated, and while it didn't make the final piece, his thoughts on how to approach interviewing guests really resonated with me.

We hung out around the NBA playoffs. Today, the piece is live over at Rolling Stone. It was a pleasure, and I hope you enjoy.