Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My Interview With Will Smith


I tend not to bore you with my personal life, but I wanted to share this tidbit. On the day I was set to interview Will Smith, I was in the midst of a profound funk: nothing major, just the usual accumulation of nonsense that can leave one feeling generally bummed. Within a minute of sitting down with Smith, that all evaporated -- and it triggered a thought that I knew was going to be the opening sentence in my profile of him. For Backstage, I chatted with the ebullient star of Concussion about his hiatus from acting, how his life has changed since returning, and why he loves being famous. (Smith is, by the way, the first celebrity I've ever met who actually told me, "I love being famous." And why not? He wears it well.) You can read my piece here.