Friday, July 19, 2013

The Greats: Gordon Willis


I'm happy to announce a new column I'll be doing for Paste. It's called "The Greats," and it celebrates film icons -- actors, directors, cinematographers, you name it -- who are 70 or older. The rationale behind the column was simple. Whenever any giant of the movie industry dies, Twitter would immediately be full of folks reminiscing about the deceased's greatness -- and then eventually someone would tweet, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if we appreciated these people while they were still alive?" So that's what I'm doing. I'll write this column every other week, and I hope you enjoy.

First up is the man who I once lobbied to receive our annual Career Achievement award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. Sadly, I wasn't persuasive enough, but no matter: He's a legend. Ladies and gentlemen, here's my salute to cinematographer Gordon Willis.