Friday, June 10, 2011

best coast - goodbye

"I've had people say, 'Oh, your voice is reminiscent of Liz Phair.' And I take that as a huge compliment, but I don't hear it. I don't really listen to a lot of '90s alternative indie female stuff anymore, but I loved Liz Phair and Kim Deal when I was younger." -- Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast to Pitchfork

The Phair connection I noticed immediately when I heard Crazy for You, the band's debut, last year. At first, Cosentino's whiny lyrical complaints annoyed me. Then I went back to Exile in Guyville and noticed a similarity: Both women used humor and honesty as ways to express their heartbreak. Soon after, Crazy for You clicked for me. It's a great summer album for being bummed that you don't have anybody. Or as Cosentino said in the same interview, "There are a s--tload of songs about being in love with someone who doesn't love you back and I talk about weed and my cat and being lazy a lot."

True. But she does it well. "Goodbye" is a particular favorite of mine.