Sunday, May 17, 2009

barack obama wants to play forward on your basketball team

Obama's speech at the University of Notre Dame today had more meaningful moments, of course, but I particularly enjoyed this section:
I also want to congratulate the class of 2009 for all your accomplishments. And since this is Notre Dame, I mean both in the classroom and in the competitive arena. We all know about this university’s proud and storied football team, but I also hear that Notre Dame holds the largest outdoor 5-on-5 basketball tournament in the world - Bookstore Basketball.

Now this excites me. I want to congratulate the winners of this year’s tournament, a team by the name of “Hallelujah Holla Back.” Well done. Though I have to say, I am personally disappointed that the “Barack O’Ballers” didn’t pull it out. Next year, if you need a 6’2” forward with a decent jumper, you know where I live.

I'm not the only Obama supporter who thinks he's at his weakest when he's trying to be funny. But this was nicely handled.